Monday, April 1, 2013

Money, money,money always sunny in the rich york's world...

Money and the city. 
  The first thing they teach you  in sales is how to handle the rejection.  The first thing that you learn in NYC is how to accept the rejection and turn negative "no" into  positive "yes". When we are in school most of us get used to being accepted and approved by our teachers, classmates. When we are in a real world, we expect the same approval from other people: our colleges, potential clients, and if we don't get positive reaction from them we get upset. What happens when you get rejected many times?  let's say you are applying for a job and get rejected 100 times in a row?  Most of  people feel insecure, they start doubt themselves and their skills and abilities. They might retire into their shell, and stop trying. I'm telling you right now, it is not an option if you live in NYC! People get attracted by big city lights and screaming commercials portraying successful people. Yes, New York is full of opportunities and opportunists who know what to do with many different possibilities. It is possible to make a lot of money. How much do you want to make? Whatever is your number, just keep in mind that new yorkers always want to make "more". They want more money, more experience, more love, more challenges, more success. Do you feel you are strong enough to compete? Then read further. Learn from my experience.


My first job experience.
  I came to New York with a limited budget. I spent most of my money on a hostel  and rent. I had $600 left for food, transportation and some necessary stuff. It is nothing if you live in NYC. Monthly metro card costs $112. Food is expensive. And you have to give tips everywhere you go: you give tips to waitresses that serve you in a restaurant, you tip a taxi-driver, you give tips to a hair-stylist, etc. Once you walk out of your apartment, you start spending money. It becomes a habit. But what if you don't have money? This is a very unpleasant experience. There is only one way out of this situation - go and find a job! There are million of jobs waiting for you out there. 
Once I moved into my new apartment, I started looking for a job. I went on Craigslist. I was looking for a waitress position. Fast cash, good money. I found open houses in few restaurants in Manhattan, and went there right away. When I got to the first open-house, I saw a long line of people at the bar. There were more than 30 people applying for one waitress position. I filled out an application form, there were many questions about food, drinks and my previous waitress experiences. I never had one. So I marked none. The manager who was interviewing me, asked me two question: when I came to New York and what was my restaurant experience. When I told him that I came 5 days ago, he put on the mask "I'm-not-interested". He wished me good luck, and promised to give me a call if there are any openings. Promise in New York is like a fake diamond that shines bright but worthless, indeed. New Yorkers like to give promises and never keep them. For example, if someone promised to give you a call tomorrow, it doesn't mean it will happen tomorrow. It might happen 2 days after, or it might never happen at all. The second open house was hold in a fancy upscale restaurant in Midtown. There was a long line of young model-looking girls. First, I thought it was for a model casting, and I was about to leave when a manager came up to me with an application form for a waitress position. I was at the right place. Then I was invited to a different room. A well-dressed executive manager in his 50's was holding an interview in a private dining room. He was very nice with me and he was very interested to know about my life abroad. He didn't ask me any questions about my waitress experience. He was sitting across the table on a sofa bench. Suddenly, he interrupted me and asked me to sit next to him. I thought he couldn't hear me, and I moved closer. He asked me if I understood how big was competition for this waitress position, then he put his arm on my knee. I was speechless. I could have never imagined that it would ever happen. Especially, in United States with strict laws that protect women's rights. I got up and walked out. I wanted to get a job, not to give a blow-job. 
  Next day I got up early in the morning, printed 80 resumes and went to Manhattan. I walked into every restaurant asking for a job. I think this day I walked into every place in Midtown. Many restaurant managers told me that they were not hiring at that moment, and few of them promised to give me a call. By the end of the day I had no resumes left, I felt exhausted, and word "no" wasn't that scary anymore. I realized that I should never take rejection personally, and it is very important to move forward. As Napoleon Bonaparte once said: "think of your life as a river, the faster it flows the clearer it gets". The following day I went to more restaurants to apply for a job, in few days I got a waitress job right on the spot. I started making my first money. 
My next job opportunity was very unusual. While I was working in a restaurant, I met a producer from Hollywood ....













No comments:

Post a Comment